As part of the conference, the organizers have dedicated Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th October 2015 as exhibition days targeting SMEs in Africa to show case their innovations. We believe SMEs are the lifeblood of the African economy. The most successful companies that have changed our lives over the recent past all started small and that's why we want to help support SMEs turn their great products into successful businesses. By providing this opportunity to showcase their innovations, we hope to also provide a platform to exchange and share experiences and know-how on best practices and strategies, to compete in a globally-competitive market.
SBIEA 2015 is intended to encourage inventors and entrepreneurs to promote their products or services by entering them for this high-profile contest. It offers a unique marketing opportunity for SMEs to present new or improved solutions to all types of customers in their sectors.
General Rules and Criteria for the SBIEA 2015
- Innovations accepted for consideration by the judges, and thereby for publication on the ICABUMPA – iN4iN website and in other various marketing channels, should:
- constitute products, services or process solutions and/or applications which are new/newly developed or improved, including management systems and work processes
- be accompanied by a brief description of the innovation involved, an assessment of the innovation’s market potential and the possible market challenges facing it along with the health, working environment, safety and environmental aspects, and sufficient information on the applicant company to allow the judges to determine which award would be appropriate
- be submitted via the internet to the organiser with full documentation at any time up to application deadline.
The judges will allocate entries to the relevant awards (Innovation or SME Innovation). The following criteria will apply when evaluating the entries:
- the added value by the introduction of the new product, service or process, and the level of innovation involved (innovation in the specific enterprise, in a specific industry or sector, national or wider market)
- market readiness – whether any further development or demonstration is required in order to achieve market penetration
- the local and possibly worldwide market potential of the innovation (annual sales, etc)
- its likely business benefit to the enterprises involved (both innovator and users of the innovation)
- its Health, Working Environment, Safety & Environmental impact
- Applicants must cover the above issues in their application. It is important that every applicant submits information in strict accordance with the criteria so that the jury can evaluate their entry in a fair and consistent manner.
- The judge’s deliberation is confidential.
- The decision is made by simple majority vote.
Excellence for SME Innovation Award 2015
This award is targeted at existing enterprises (at least 3 years) from any sector with outstanding creativity and business models that apply knowledge and innovation to achieve success and that are worthy of serving as role models for new business. The innovation areas can be Product, Process or Organizational.
Excellence in Transformational Business Award 2015
This award is targeted at existing enterprises (at least 3 years) from any sector. The business should be able to demonstrate innovation either incremental, breakthrough or transformative. The innovation areas can be Product, Process or Organizational.
Excellent Pre-commercial Innovation Award 2015
Got an idea which has changed lives? We'd like to hear from you! This award is targeted at individuals who have come up with innovations either incremental, breakthrough or transformative that address a specific societal need; however these innovations are yet to be commercialized.
How to Enter
Entry to this award shall be through Exhibition to be held at Kenyatta International Conference Center (KICC), Nairobi on 27th and 28th October 2015. To participate, please send your business concept note of not more than 3 pages by either;
- Online submission - via email: email@example.com.
- Physical submissions - to be posted or delivered to the following address;
The ICABUMPA- iN4iN Secretariat
P.O Box 31495 - 00100, Nairobi
5thFlr. Union Towers, Moi Avenue.
Benefits of exhibition
Participation in the awards process elevates your company’s brand awareness through exposure to entrepreneurs, sponsors, judges and guests, many of whom may be seeking customers, alliances, or other growth opportunities.
The program credentials you to investors, employees, and customers and gives you the opportunity to celebrate achievements and publicly recognize the contributions of the team who made it possible.
This is just not an Award— it is an ongoing community of Entrepreneurial leadership through the Graduate Enterprise Academy where alumni events, access to advisors, speaking engagements and media profiles and interviews shall be organized.
- Category I & II winners will take home Ksh 300,000 + mentorship support for 6 months
- First runner up will take home Kshs 100,000 + mentorship support for 6 months
- Second runner up will take home Kshs 50,000 + mentorship support for 6 months
- Category III winner will take home Kshs 50,000, 1st runner up Kshs 30,000 and 2nd runner up of Kshs 20,000
The Awards will be presented at a Dinner on 28 October 2015 which shall also be attended by industry captains. Each entrant will receive three complimentary tickets. Additional tickets can be purchased.